Planning to attend the 2nd Annual Wings and Wildflowers Festival Oct. 4-6 at Hickory Point Park in Tavares? If so, remember the early bird gets the worm, but in this case, the early bird gets the seeds and a chance to win a pair of Nikon binoculars.
The first 100 people to arrive at the festival each day will be given a wildflower seed packet containing Lanceleaf Coreopsis seeds provided by the Lake County Economic Development & Tourism Department.
“As part of the festival, we are highlighting the importance of using native plants in both restoration of park lands and in use for household gardens,” said Debi Dyer, tourism program supervisor for Lake County’s Economic Development & Tourism Department. “By giving away native plant seeds at the festival, we are hoping that people will go back to their homes or communities and start their own native plant gardens.”
The premiere package, which sells for $100, is available to the first 20 participants who register online at www.wingsandwildflowers.com/Activities/Details/121. The package features:
- Reserved seating at the keynote dinner featuring James Currie, host of NBC Sports’ Nikon Birding Adventures at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4 at Lakeside Inn in Mount Dora
- A small black canvas expandable pack with removable shoulder strap stuffed with Hobie® Sunscreen with carabineer and Hobie® all-natural lip balm
- A poster, tote bag and wildflower-seed packet with commemorative festival artwork
- A 2nd Annual Wings & Wildflowers Festival T-shirt
- A festival water bottle that can be filled at water refill stations around Hickory Point Park during the festival
- Lake County, Florida maps and brochures
- An entry for a drawing to win a pair of Nikon Monarch 3 – 8×24 Binoculars (two drawings will take place).
The package, sponsored by Hobie Kayaks and Florida from a Kayak, also includes a special paddle excursion narrated by James Currie. Participants will set off from the Astatula Boat Ramp, 12703 Florida Ave., Astatula, for an exclusive kayak tour of one of Lake County’s most popular Blueway trails – the Lake Harris Run. Participants can choose one of two dates to experience the kayak trip, 7:30 to 10 a.m. on either Saturday, Oct. 5 or Sunday, Oct. 6.
Online registration closes for all events at the festival on Friday, Sept. 20, including the premiere package. For more information about the 2nd Annual Wings and Wildflowers Festival, or to view or register for events, visit www.WingsAndWildflowers.com.
The 2nd Annual Wings and Wildflowers Festival is being sponsored by the Lakeside Inn of Mount Dora; Akers Media Group/Lake-Sumter Style Magazine; Hobie Cat Company; the Lake County Water Authority; The Leesburg Partnership; Christian Home & Bible School; Classic Tents & Events; Mission Inn Resort & Club; Classic Tents & Events; Chick-fil-A; City of Leesburg; Duke Energy; Farnsworth House Bed & Breakfast; Florida from a Kayak; Florida Native Plant Society, Lake Beautyberry Chapter; Florida Wildflower Foundation; Glasscat Design; Lakeview Inn of Tavares; McLin Education Foundation; Mount Dora Community Trust; Nikon; Ocklawaha Valley Audubon Society; Palatlakaha Environmental and Agricultural Reserve (PEAR) Association; PAL Realty; Promise Habitat Services, LLC; SECO Energy; Shananne Cain Florist; Trout Lake Nature Center; and Publix.